Mesothelioma Treatment Centers: Find the Best Care
Because of how rare, aggressive, and challenging to treat mesothelioma can be, it’s often best to find specialized care. This care is found at a mesothelioma treatment center for many patients. The best mesothelioma treatment centers nationwide focus specifically on treating this difficult cancer. They have access to leading-edge clinical trials and treatments as well.
While mesothelioma treatment centers can be an invaluable resource as you fight mesothelioma, they’re also expensive because of the high level of care and focused attention you receive. Our legal team can help you receive compensation for treatment costs at a mesothelioma cancer center and cover things like time off work or travel expenses.
What Are Mesothelioma Treatment Centers?
There are medical centers located around the country that specialize in the treatment of specific conditions, including mesothelioma. Patients can receive care at one of these centers, offering comprehensive, multidisciplinary approaches. When you opt to work with a cancer center that focuses on mesothelioma, your treatment plan goes throughout your journey.
There are only a few thousand cases of mesothelioma diagnosed in the U.S. every year, so most providers don’t have the experience level needed to give patients the best care. After an initial diagnosis, it’s common for patients to go to a specialized center for a second opinion.
These centers are home to where a lot of the research and discovery happens that eventually leads to treatments extending patients’ lives throughout the country and world. Patients receiving care at mesothelioma treatment centers tend to have better overall outcomes.
What Are the Best Treatment Centers for Pleural Mesothelioma?
Pleural mesothelioma is the most often diagnosed type of the disease, affecting the lung lining, the lungs themselves, and the chest cavity. It’s difficult to treat, but expert specialists can help a patient live longer, have a higher quality of life, reduce pain and discomfort, and effectively manage other symptoms.
Examples of the best mesothelioma cancer centers for pleural mesothelioma include:
Boston Brigham and Women’s Hospital
The Brigham and Women’s Hospital, an academic hospital in Boston, has a mesothelioma medical center. It’s a teaching hospital for Harvard Medical School, and Brigham and Women’s Hospital is considered one of the best centers for treating mesothelioma. The hospital’s patients can access top thoracic surgeons through the specialized Mesothelioma Program.
The Lung Institute at Baylor Medicine
The Lung Institute at Baylor Medicine is in Houston, at the Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center. The center contributes to advancing mesothelioma treatments, including thoracic surgery. This center offers some of the most cutting-edge diagnosis, research, and treatment technology.
Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center
The Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, offering a mesothelioma program since 1997, is where patients can receive surgery, including decortication and pleurectomy. The research-driven program includes collaborative work from scientists and doctors from multiple organizations.
The University of Chicago Cancer Center
The University of Chicago Medicine Comprehensive Cancer Center is led by experts researching and treating mesothelioma. As a patient, you have access to treatments like surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, and clinical trials. The program is known for its HIPEC treatment, which stands for hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemoperfusion. HIPEC is a targeted therapy, delivering heated chemotherapy straight into the affected part of the body. In most cases, HIPEC is used with surgery for tumor removal.
H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
The Moffitt Cancer Center is a top treatment center for mesothelioma and other types of cancer, having been established in 1981. It’s one of the country’s biggest specialized cancer treatment centers, with 13 programs.
University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
Located at The University of Texas clinic, the MD Anderson Cancer Center has a team of more than 30 doctors exclusively treating mesothelioma. The center is one of the most comprehensive cancer treatment programs in the country, and the doctors here specialize in all treatment plans to the specific needs of each mesothelioma patient, in addition to performing many clinical trials.
Other Mesothelioma Cancer Treatment Centers
Some of the other names for the best mesothelioma treatment centers in the country include:
- Mount Sinai recently created the Women’s Lung Cancer Program. There’s also the New York Mesothelioma Program that offers different care options for pleural mesothelioma patients. Accessibility to surgical treatments, radiation, medical oncology, and other clinical services is available.
- John Hopkins Bayview Hospital in Baltimore is home to the Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center, which researches mesothelioma and provides top care under the direction of experts.
- The Cleveland Clinic Cancer Center in Ohio specializes in mesothelioma treatment, particularly minimally invasive surgery. The medical center has provided focused treatment for lung-related cancers at all stages since 1921.
- Kaiser Permanente treats mesothelioma patients at Oakland Medical Center.
- The UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center boasts the globally renowned Lung Cancer Program and the Thoracic Oncology Program.
Mesothelioma Cancer Centers for Peritoneal Mesothelioma
Peritoneal mesothelioma is less common than pleural, affecting the peritoneum, the lining of the abdomen. Centers that treat peritoneal mesothelioma often offer abdominal surgeries and HIPEC, as well as other specialized approaches to delivering chemotherapy.
Peritoneal mesothelioma cancer treatment centers include:
- The Moffitt Cancer Center treats pleural and peritoneal mesothelioma as well as pericardial. The center’s area of focus for peritoneal mesothelioma is HIPEC, and there’s an expansive clinical trial program.
- The Taussig Cancer Center at The Cleveland Clinic approaches the treatment of peritoneal mesothelioma in a multidisciplinary way. A treatment team might include oncologists, pathologists, radiologists, pulmonologists, and thoracic surgeons.
- Washington Cancer Institute provides specialized treatment for peritoneal mesothelioma, and the Sugarbaker Procedure was created here by Dr. Paul H. Sugarbaker, which includes the combination of HIPEC and cytoreductive surgery.
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center offers treatments for peritoneal mesothelioma and pleural. The hospital treats one of the world’s highest patient volumes for mesothelioma, with a patient database they rely on to provide treatment recommendations. The follow-up care and survivorship program at Memorial Sloan Kettering also set it apart.
Mesothelioma Treatment Centers for Veterans
Many of the patients who are diagnosed with mesothelioma were military service members, and that’s likely where their asbestos exposure happened. The Department of Veterans Affairs offers healthcare covered by the government at VA hospitals. Top mesothelioma VA medical centers include:
- Miami VA Medical Center
- Atlanta VA Health Care System
- West Roxbury VA Medical Center
What Are the Benefits of Being a Patient at One of the Best Mesothelioma Treatment Centers?
The benefits of going to a mesothelioma treatment center can be enormous for a patient. It’s common for mesothelioma to be misdiagnosed because doctors aren’t familiar with it, and the symptoms can often seem similar to those of other conditions, like lung cancer. Mesothelioma centers ensure that the diagnosis is correct and that treatment is appropriate, as well as delivering the most modern technologies. New treatments are continuing to come a long way in helping patients live longer, better lives.
Choosing a Treatment Center
If you’re in the process of choosing a treatment center that specializes in mesothelioma, some things to keep in mind include:
- What type of access to emerging treatments and clinical trials is available?
- Do National Review Boards accredit the center? A National Cancer Institute-accredited mesothelioma treatment center will tend to have the best resources. Along with accreditation from the NIC, other accrediting agencies include the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) as well as the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN).
- Is the treatment team multidisciplinary to offer the most robust treatment approach?
- Is telehealth available for follow-up appointments?
Do Mesothelioma Treatment Centers Accept Insurance?
Most cancer treatment centers do accept private insurance and Medicare. However, the coverage amount can vary significantly based on your policy and insurer and the treatments you receive. It’s not uncommon for someone with mesothelioma to spend thousands of dollars or more out-of-pocket, even with insurance. This can include paying for the treatments and travel costs, lost wages, and care received at home.
These costs can be overwhelming when you’re already dealing with a difficult cancer diagnosis.
We encourage you to contact our team. We’re expert mesothelioma attorneys; this is our only focus area. Asbestos is the only risk factor currently known for mesothelioma, and we can file a personal injury claim on your behalf against negligent asbestos manufacturers so you can receive compensation to help cover treatment costs and other related expenses. We can also identify the best trust funds for you that compensate asbestos victims, set up by asbestos companies going bankrupt in the 1980s.
Even if you aren’t sure where you were exposed to asbestos, we can help. Our investigative professionals can go through your records, including military, employment, and medical, and create the needed link to asbestos exposure and your diagnosis of mesothelioma.
Reach out to learn more and speak with us through a free consultation. Our services are based on you receiving compensation, so you won’t pay us out-of-pocket.